Commander Air Group
From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
The Commander, Air Group (CAG) is the senior pilot aboard a battlestar, responsible for Air Wing operations and personnel. The billet is filled by the senior flight officer with a rank of captain or higher.
Commander, Air Group battlestar Galactica
- For a complete list of all Galactica CAGs, see: Senior Staff of Galactica
- Captain Armin Diaz (Blood and Chrome)
- Major Jackson Spencer (Miniseries)
- Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama ("Miniseries" to "Pegasus")
- Captain Kara "Starbuck" Thrace ("Downloaded" to "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II")
- Major Lee "Apollo" Adama ("Torn" to "The Son Also Rises")
- Captain Karl "Helo" Agathon ("The Son Also Rises" to "Six of One")
- Captain Kara "Starbuck" Thrace ("Sine Qua Non" to "Daybreak, Part II")
Commander, Air Group battlestar Pegasus
- Captain Cole "Stinger" Taylor (Relieved by Admiral Cain in "Resurrection Ship, Part I")
- Captain Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Replaces Cole Taylor, but transfered back to Galactica by "Epiphanies". Temporarily transferred to Pegasus in "The Captain's Hand" and re-assigned to Galactica after "Razor")
- CAG at the time of destruction unknown
- CAGs have normally been captains throughout the series, but always senior to all other pilots. Captain Lee Adama is initially appointed CAG by virtue of his rank, and eventually is promoted to major with several captains serving under him as squadron commanders. Subsequent CAGs (Kara Thrace, George Birch, Louanne Katraine) are captains when appointed. In Thrace's case in "Pegasus", Lee Adama is demoted to Lieutenant under her.
- "CAG" is a US Navy term that has gained widespread recognition through films and television series such as "Top Gun" and "JAG". The term "CAG" is obsolete as Air Groups are now known as Air Wings and the position is "Commander, Air Wing" (CAW), but it is still used, especially on an informal level. The term "Air Wing" is also used on Battlestar Galactica (Pegasus).
- The CAG's rank and place in the ship's hierarchy is one area where Battlestar Galactica diverges from the US Navy. In the real world, the CAG is a captain (O-6) of equal seniority to the ship's captain (or skipper), with both under the command of an admiral who commands the Carrier Strike Group. Battlestar Galactica places the CAG under the ship's commander, and at major or even captain he or she holds a relatively low rank.